Thursday, August 31, 2006

Crochet Grocery Bag Dispenser and Beer Cozy


The only thing better than knowing how to crochet is knowing how to crochet things that are actually useful! There are only so many scarves that one can make before thinking, "What can I make that I can use all year round?" Here are two projects that I finished a couple months ago that fulfill that need to be practical! First, here a grocery bag dispenser that I made on in one evening while watching TV. The pattern is available for free here from The Crochet Dude. He had the ingenious idea of using two ponytail holders: one for the ring at the top, and one at the bottom to pull the bags through. This worked very well. I did add more single crochet stitches around the top ring than he called for in the pattern, just so the ponytail holder wouldn't show through.

Here is a picture of the grocery bag dispenser (aka dog poop pick-up bags) in action! I used Lily Sugar and Cream cotton yarn, and for the beer cozy too.

Here is a picture of the beer cozy that I made, using variegated cotton yarn. I found the pattern at The Midnight Knitter's site here. This pattern worked up very quickly too.

By the way, that is my lovely husband in the background there, holding the beer can!

Happy crocheting!

6 comments:

Funky Finds said...

Who knew a plastic bag dispenser could be so beautiful? And the beer cozy is hilarious! Nice work :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea. Very cute! Good job sissy!

~drew emborsky~ said...

The grocery bag dispenser came out great! Good job!! =)

The beer can cozy is pretty cool too!

Anonymous said...

Adorable little beer cozy. The person holding it is cute too. The Grocery bag dispensor is a good idea

Anonymous said...

I must say that beer coozy comes in handy!!

Christina said...

Fabulous! Mike has officially moved over to the darkside of crochet accessories for his beer.