Monday, September 18, 2006

Christmas 2005 Handmade Presents

Isn't it irritating that stores feel the need to stock their holiday merchandise as soon as Labor Day is over? The holiday season keeps coming earlier each year! Does anyone really have the overwhelming desire to buy tree ornaments or gift wrap in September?! Halloween hasn't even happened yet people!

Well, regardless of how I feel about that, it gets me thinking about what I'm going to make for everyone this year. Here is a picture of the scarves that I made for everyone last year. I made 7 scarves total, for my sister, my stepmom, my sister-in-law, my cousin my brother-in-law, my father-in-law, and my brother-in-law (Those are in order from left to right).

I also made potholder sets for just about everyone I know! I sewed about 45 potholders in all! My friend Monica was a wonderful assistant, as she cut the squares for at least half of these. She was in a mode, and wanted to express herself with a rotary cutter. I think cutting perfect squares appeals to her perfectionist nature! It was fine with me--her help allowed me to make enough for all of my family and my good friends. I now have a distinct groove in my cutting mat at 8 1/2 inches. Here are pictures of the potholders:

















My sister Tracy also requested some more potholders recently, so here is a picture of the set of four I made for her. She likes neutral colors, so I used cream and linen colored fabrics with very soft prints. I took this picture in my photography class at Make, by the way!

4 comments:

Funky Finds said...

Great creations...as usual! Thanks for the link to Deadbeat Leather. I love their stuff. I gave the sewing another try Saturday. My bag didn't turn out perfect, but at least I haven't given up completely...yet! :) Have a great week Melissa.

Unknown said...

Mel -

I found a woman here in San Antonio who will provide me with private crochet lessons...for a nominal (not!) fee of course. First lesson is on Friday - very excited!

Anonymous said...

I love my pot holders! They are wonderful in my kitchen. Plain colors, like I love, yet everything my sister makes is anything but plain. I wouldn't like it unless she made it.

Anonymous said...

You are a cottage industry!! You know you can get a tax break for that...I think. I like the potholders, too. I hadn't seen those.