Thursday, February 01, 2007

Adventures in Baking

The proverbial "they" say that your tastes change every 7 years. I don't know if the number is right, but I have noticed that now I like cantaloupe and beans when I hated them for years. Do you think the same is true for the rest of your life? That every few years you like some activity that you used to hate?

I have found this true for me. Any of you that have known for a while know that I used to HATE to cook. I avoided it whenever possible. During college, everything I consumed was pretty much previously frozen, out of a box, or from a restaurant. The kitchen was then a foreign place for me. Chopping vegetables (or anything related to using a knife) was a cruel and esoteric task that I didn't understand or have time for. Baking something was even more foreign to me, as far away from my daily life as could be.

I wonder now why I had this aversion to cooking during this time. Maybe it was a fear of the unknown. I had no idea, for instance, what ratio of ingredients would go into tomato sauce or how to properly hold a knife. Maybe it was a resistance to change. I had been heating up frozen dinners since my Mom had slowly decided that she had been cooking 3 meals a day for me and my sister for 15 years, and we could operate microwaves, so she was tired of cooking! I hadn't paid much attention to her cooking back then, and I didn't have much experience to draw on. Maybe it was something else. Maybe it was the fact that Mike would just cook for me. I admit that I got a little bit of smug satisfaction when people exclaimed, "What! Mike cooks for you?! " Like it is so hard to fathom a man cooking.

Well, the 7 year mark passed, and with the influence of Mike, and my sister and my brother-in-law attending cooking school, I slowly began to see the art of cooking. Hey, it was sort of like crafting! I get to work with my hands. I could put the different parts of a recipe together, and come out with a finished product. And you instantly had feedback on how good or bad something tasted. It was rewarding!

I have also decided to try my hand at baking. Call it a New Year's resolution. Baking is quite a different prospect than cooking. You can be less exact with cooking, you can improvise. Baking requires exact measurement and timing. The recipes say, "Don't mix it too much!" or "Mix only to combine and no more!" It is quite frightening! But, what the hell--I'll never learn if I don't try.

So, on Martin Luther King Day I was off work, and I decided to make Irish Soda Bread from my Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. I asked my brother-in-law, the culinary school graduate, to supervise me and make sure I didn't mess it up. He showed me how to incorporate the butter into the flour by using my hands instead of a mixer. Oh, and by "showed me how," I really mean, he completely took over! He likes to do things his way. I told him how was I ever going to learn if I couldn't do it myself? He reluctantly relinquished some of the control. I have to say, the bread was DELICIOUS! It has orange zest and buttermilk in it, and currants too--you can see the currants in these pictures. We had the bread with asiago-cheese crusted chicken (Mike's original recipe), Cheddar Corn Chowder also from Barefoot Contessa, and broccoli. Yum!

The following week, I made Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread from the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. I was extra proud of this one because I made it all by myself! I mixed the dry and wet ingredients separately, chopped and seeded jalapenos, shredded cheese, and mixed everything just to incorporate. It was quite an accomplishment! A delicious one too.

And this past Sunday, I made Easy Cheese Danishes from guess which cookbook. These were a daunting task in that they use puff pastry. Is there anything more intimidating to the beginner baker than the elusive, persnickety puff pastry? I have watched shows on Food Network about it, and the host invariably cautions you to be careful, don't screw it up, or it won't puff! But cheese danishes are irrestible to me, so I decided to go for it. I started making them while Mike was at the grocery store, and he came home in time for a minor freak-out. My puff pastry anxiety was taking over! I had decided to make smaller-sized danishes, which means I cut 6 out of a sheet of puff pastry instead of 4. When Mike was helping me assemble them, the filling was threatening to spill off the sides and they wouldn't fold over right. They looked pretty ugly, to tell you the truth. I told Mike we just needed to get the damn things in the oven! I just wanted it to be over! I waited nervously for the next 20 minutes, asking Mike every couple of minutes, "Do you think they'll be good? I know they are ugly, but will they tasted good?" Out of the oven they came, looking puffy (yes!) but ugly (oh well). They tasted so good, so creamy, with strong vanilla and lemon flavors. We breathed a collective sigh of relief as we scarfed them down. I completely forgot to take a picture of them in my hurry to gobble them up, so you will just have to use your imagination.

My plan is to bake something new at least once a week. Bread, muffins, cake--something in the oven from scratch every week. (Frozen puff pastry from a box still counts as from scratch, even my brother-in-law says so). I will post my creations here and keep you informed of my baking adventures!

1 comment:

m.i.a. said...

Oh Mel- these look wonderful! Glad to hear of your new appreciation and I'm always available to taste-test!